“I am not really alone, because the Father is with me.”
John 16:32 (GNT)
Having the mind of Christ means always being aware that God is with you.
We see this in the life of Jesus. Jesus lived in the presence of God and stayed connected to the favor of God. No matter how busy he was, he stayed in tune with the Father. Jesus said, “I am not really alone, because the Father is with me” (John 16:32 GNT).
This is why the greatest antidote to loneliness is thinking like Jesus. When you have the mind of Christ, you’ll be able, like him, to say, “I’m not alone, because I know the Father is always with me.” When we feel alone, it’s often the result of not living with the mind of Christ—we’re not aware of God’s constant care.
How can you always stay aware of God’s constant care? One way is through prayer. Jesus made prayer a daily habit: “Jesus would often go to some place where he could be alone and pray” (Luke 5:16 CEV).
Notice this verse says that Jesus often slipped away so he could pray. You can’t just do that every now and then if you want to have the mind of Christ. Jesus’ prayer life was continual. He made it the priority of his life to be with his Father. It was a habit.
Do you stop and pray throughout the day? Do you think your day would go better if you developed this habit? If Jesus felt the need to slip away and pray throughout his day, then think about how much more we need it!
When you don’t take the time to talk with God, you miss the gifts of God. It’s not God’s will for you to be too busy for him. In fact, you’ll get more done in every area of your life if you take the time to stop and pray.
That doesn’t seem like it should work. If you’re always stopping to pray, how are you going to get more done? You’re going to have focus. You’ll be able to focus your mind and heart on what matters most because you’re taking time to let God’s Spirit remind you through prayer what your purpose is.
Jesus Christ knew who he was and what his purpose was. He was always aware of God’s presence. When you get the mind of Christ, you’ll have those things too, and you’ll always be aware that God is with you. Talk It Over
- It may take some planning for you to make time for prayer throughout your day. How can you adapt your schedule so you have margin? How can you change your mindset so you are more flexible and more likely to allow time for more prayer?
- Who can help keep you accountable in your prayer habits as you work to develop the mind of Christ?
- Does prayer with God have to be scheduled or last very long? Why or why not?
CLASSES & STUDIES Sundays
- Sunday School with Debbie Woodard at 9:00am on Zoom Deanna & James Boorsma will be hosting the Young Adults to join in the class in person beginning on November 1 (last room on the left of the new wing).
Meeting ID: 852 143 427
- Kenneth Ray and Gracie Smith will be starting an Adult Sunday School Class on Sunday, November 1 at 9:00am in the classroom beside of the office.
- Sunday morning worship begins at 10:00am in the sanctuary. The service will continue to be live streamed on Facebook (and our website home page) for those unable to be with us in the church building.
- OH|Kids Church for K-5th grade is now meeting during the worship hour with Pastor Maddie! Take your child directly to the OH|Kids room before worship (instead of starting in the sanctuary). Please see Maddie if you would like to help.
- Youth Group meets (in person) on Wednesdays at 6:30pm! Please contact Elizabeth Hunter for more information.
- Wednesday Night Bible Study with Debbie Woodard, 6:30 pm on Facebook Live.
- Prayer and Bible Study with Richard Baisden at 7pm on Zoom.
Meeting ID: 968 0414 4773
ANNOUNCEMENTS FOOD PANTRY:
The pantry is open on Tuesday and Thursday from 10:00am-1:00pm and Wednesday from 5:00-7:00pm. Volunteers and donations are needed. Please let Pastor know if you can help.
COFFEE SHOP: Uncommon Grounds is open every Monday-Saturday from 7:00am-2:00pm and Sunday from 8:00am-noon. Invite a friend and use this great outreach to introduce the church to your friends.
KELLY'S CLOSET: Kelly needs volunteers to help serve women in need of clothing and support. Please see Kelly for more information on how you can get involved or donate.
SECRETARY NEEDED: We are looking for a part-time secretary to help at the church. If you know of anyone, please have them contact Pastor Mike or Terri Ray.
CHAIR YOGA: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 8:30am. Contact Anita Woods for more information.
TRUNK OR TREAT:
October 31 from 6:00-8:00pm. We are looking for volunteers to decorate vehicles, and help with food, setup, and cleanup. If you can help in any capacity please click the link
and sign up, or connect with Elizabeth Hunter or Pastor Maddie. We also need candy donations, which can be dropped off in the church foyer.
FOOD TRUCK FOR THE HOLIDAYS: We will have a tractor trailer of food delivered on November 5 to distribute to those in our community who are in need of food for the holidays. The dates for distribution are Saturday, November 7 from 9:00am-noon and Sunday, November 8 from 4:00-6:00pm. Please see Pastor Mike if you can help.
COMMUNITY YOUTH BASKETBALL OPEN GYM: The gym will be open every Saturday through October from 9:00am-noon for junior and senior high school age students.
THANKSGIVING DINNER: Our Annual Thanksgiving Dinner will be Sunday, November 15 after morning worship. The church will provide the meat and we ask the congregation to bring sides and desserts. Please see Gracie Smith for more information on what to bring.
CHRISMON: Sunday Morning, December 6 in the AM service. Following the service we will have lunch and a time of decorating the church for the holidays.
BREAKFAST WITH SANTA: Saturday, December 12 from 9:00-11:00am.
WEDNESDAY NIGHT MEALS: We hope to resume our meals after the first of the year.