“Let heaven fill your thoughts; don’t spend your time worrying about things down here.” Colossians 3:2 (TLB)
True freedom comes when you focus your mind on God’s truth. But how do you focus your mind on the right things so you can experience freedom? Here are three things you can do that will make the biggest difference in managing your mind.
First, think about Jesus.
Hebrews 12:3 says, “Think about Jesus’ example. He held on while wicked people were doing evil things to him. So do not get tired and stop trying” (NCV). What gives you the power to keep on going? You think about Jesus. Keep your mind on who the Bible says he is and the example he’s given you for how to live a life that pleases God.Second, think about others.
“Let us think about each other and help each other to show love and do good deeds” (Hebrews 10:24 NCV). Most of the people around the world think about themselves first. So anybody who thinks more about others than they do about themselves is going to shine. When you choose to think about what others may need and how you can help, you’ll find it’s hard to let your problems get you down.Third, think about eternity.
The Bible says in Colossians 3:2, “Let heaven fill your thoughts; don’t spend your time worrying about things down here” (TLB). Whatever you’re worried about today is probably not going to matter in five years, much less in eternity. Everything is put into perspective when you think about your life in light of eternity.
Whatever situation you’re facing today, stop and think about what you’re thinking about. Then choose to focus on Jesus, other people, and your home in eternity. It will take the focus off of yourself, which is how God intended for you to live. And it will transform your life!
Talk It Over
- How does thinking of what other people need give you a right perspective on your own problems?
- What truths about who Jesus is and what he has done for you do you need to focus on today?
- When you think about your biggest problem in light of eternity, how does it change you?
CLASSES & STUDIES Sundays
- Sunday School with Debbie Woodard is at 9:00am on Zoom + Deanna & James Boorsma will be hosting the Young Adults to join in the class in person beginning November 1 (last room on the left of the new wing).
Meeting ID: 852 143 427
- Kenneth Ray and Gracie Smith will be leading an Adult Sunday School Class on Sunday morning at 9:00am in the classroom beside the office.
- Sunday morning worship begins at 10:00am in the sanctuary. The service will continue to be live streamed on Facebook (and our website home page) for those unable to be with us in the church building.
- OH|Kids Church for K-5th grade is now meeting during the worship hour with Pastor Maddie! Parents can take children directly to the OH|Kids room before worship (instead of starting in the sanctuary). Please see Maddie if you would like to help.
- Youth Group meets (in person) on Wednesdays at 6:30pm! Please contact Elizabeth Hunter for more information.
- Wednesday Night Bible Study with Debbie Woodard, 6:30 pm on Facebook Live.
- Prayer and Bible Study with Richard Baisden is at 7pm on Zoom.
Meeting ID: 968 0414 4773
ANNOUNCEMENTS FOOD TRUCK FOR THE HOLIDAYS:
We will have a tractor trailer of food delivered on November 5 to distribute to those in our community who are in need of food for the holidays. Pastor will need some help on November 5th at 8:00am to unload the truck. Please let him know if you can help
. The dates for distribution are Saturday, November 7 from 9:00am-noon and Sunday, November 8 from 4:00-6:00pm. FOOD PANTRY:
The pantry is open on Tuesday and Thursday from 10:00am-1:00pm and Wednesday from 5:00-7:00pm. Volunteers and donations are needed. Specific food items needed: Vienna Sausages, Potted Meats, and Spaghetti Sauce. SECRETARY NEEDED:
We are looking for a part-time secretary to help at the church. If you know of anyone, please have them contact Pastor Mike or Terri Ray. COFFEE SHOP:
Uncommon Grounds is open every Monday-Saturday from 7:00am-2:00pm and Sunday from 8:00am-noon. Invite a friend and use this great outreach to introduce the church to your friends. KELLY'S CLOSET:
Kelly needs volunteers to help serve women in need of clothing and support. Please see Kelly (239-257-9580) for more information on how you can get involved or donate. CHAIR YOGA:
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 8:30am. Contact Anita Woods (615-999-9384) for more information. TRUNK OR TREAT:
is this Saturday, October 31 from 6:00-8:00pm! THANKSGIVING DINNER:
We will have our annual Thanksgiving Meal on Sunday, November 15 right after our morning worship service and we are looking for volunteers and a head count. There is a sign-up sheet in the foyer of the church; or you can reply by email
(please select one method to reply).
- We need several volunteers to roast or deep fry a turkey. If you are willing to cook one, but need the church to provide the turkey, please let Gracie know so she can arrange to purchase a turkey with tax exemption.
- Families are encouraged to bring side dishes/salads and desserts.
- The church will provide dressing, rolls, and drinks.
We are requesting that all attendees wear a face mask when going through the line. Families will sit together and all will practice social-distancing and CDC recommendations. Please see William Summers or Gracie Smith if you have any questions. CHRISMON:
Sunday Morning, December 6 in the AM service. Following the service we will have lunch and a time of decorating the church for the holidays. BREAKFAST WITH SANTA:
Saturday, December 12 from 9:00-11:00am.