“The world’s sin is unbelief in me.” John 16:9 (TLB)
At the root of every sin rests at least a momentary doubt about God.
In John 16:9 Jesus says, “The world’s sin is unbelief in me” (TLB). When you don’t believe Jesus is who he says he is or he’ll do what he says he’ll do, that’s the root of all sin.
Here are some emotions you can look for that can help you know when you’re doubting God.
When you become impatient
, it reveals your doubt in God’s perfect timing. God has a plan for your life, but he’s never going to be in a hurry. That’s easy to forget when you want things to happen on your own timetable—so you take matters into your own hands instead of waiting on God.
When you become resentful or bitter
, it reveals your doubt in God’s wisdom. God is wise and good and loving. But when things don’t turn out like you plan or want, you think he messed up somehow. And you don’t believe he can bring good out of bad.
When you dwell in guilty feelings
, it reveals your unbelief in God’s forgiveness. How long should a follower of Jesus feel guilty? About one second. That’s how long it takes to confess a sin. If you’re carrying around guilt, it means you can’t forgive yourself because you don’t believe God has forgiven you.
When you feel inadequate
, it reveals your doubt in God’s power. God has said his power shows up best in your weakness. But when you don’t believe that, it shows you think power should come only from yourself. If you think that, you’re always going to be disappointed.
Do you want to turn around those feelings of fear, impatience, resentment, guilt, and inadequacy? Then you need to start doubting your doubts.
If you believe in God’s Word, you can trust what it says about God and the way he feels about you and takes care of you. You can trust that God keeps his promises, has perfect timing, is wise, forgives you, and works powerfully through you.Talk It Over
- What can you do to remind yourself of God’s truth when you start to doubt?
- In recent months, have your doubts about God increased or decreased? Why do you think that’s so?
- What sin is your greatest struggle? What does it reveal about your unbelief?
CLASSES & STUDIES Sundays
- Sunday School with Debbie Woodard is at 9:00am on Zoom + Deanna & James Boorsma host the Young Adults to join the class in person. They meet in the last room on the left of the new wing.
Meeting ID: 852 143 427
- Kenneth Ray and Gracie Smith lead an Adult Sunday School Class on Sunday morning at 9:00am in the classroom beside the office.
- Sunday morning worship begins at 10:00am in the sanctuary. The service will continue to be live streamed on Facebook (and our website home page) for those unable to be with us in the church building.
- OH|Kids Church for K-5th grade is now meeting during the worship hour with Pastor Maddie! Parents can take children directly to the OH|Kids room before worship (instead of starting in the sanctuary). See Maddie if you would like to help.
- Youth Group meets (in person) on Wednesdays at 6:30pm! Contact Elizabeth Hunter for more information.
- Wednesday Night Bible Study with Debbie Woodard, 6:30 pm on Facebook Live.
- Prayer and Bible Study with Richard Baisden is at 7pm on Zoom.
Meeting ID: 968 0414 4773
ANNOUNCEMENTS FOOD TRUCK FOR THE HOLIDAYS:
Our tractor trailer of food will be here this Thursday, November 5, to distribute to those in our community who are in need of food for the holidays. Pastor will need help on November 5th at 9:00am to unload the truck. Let him know if you can help. The dates for distribution are Saturday, November 7 from 9:00am-noon and Sunday, November 8 from 4:00-6:00pm. FOOD PANTRY:
The pantry is open on Tuesday and Thursday from 10:00am-1:00pm and Wednesday from 5:00-7:00pm. Volunteers and donations are needed. Specific food items needed: Vienna Sausages, Potted Meats, and Spaghetti Sauce. SECRETARY NEEDED:
We are looking for a part-time secretary to help at the church. If you know of anyone, have them contact Pastor Mike or Terri Ray. COFFEE SHOP:
Uncommon Grounds is open every Monday-Saturday from 7:00am-2:00pm and Sunday from 8:00am-noon. Invite a friend and use this great outreach to introduce the church to your friends. KELLY'S CLOSET:
Kelly needs volunteers to help serve women in need of clothing and support. See Kelly for more information on how you can get involved or donate. CHAIR YOGA
: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 8:30am. Contact Anita Woods for more information. THANKSGIVING DINNER:
We will have our annual Thanksgiving Meal on Sunday, November 15 right after our morning worship service and we are looking for volunteers and a head count. There is a sign-up sheet in the foyer of the church; or you can reply by email (please select one method to reply).
- We need several volunteers to roast or deep fry a turkey. If you are willing to cook one, but need the church to provide the turkey, let Gracie know so she can arrange to purchase a turkey with tax exemption.
- Families are encouraged to bring side dishes/salads and desserts.
- The church will provide dressing, rolls, and drinks.
We are requesting that all attendees wear a face mask when going through the line. Families will sit together and all will practice social-distancing and CDC recommendations. See William Summers or Gracie Smith if you have any questions. CHRISMON:
Sunday Morning, December 6 in the AM service. Following the service we will have lunch and a time of decorating the church for the holidays. BREAKFAST WITH SANTA:
Saturday, December 12 from 9:00-11:00am. WOMEN OF JOY:
Women of Joy is coming to Pigeon Forge on April 23-25, 2021 (hopefully no COVID). To get the best rate for the conference and choice for lodging, fees are due January 10. See Rhonda Emanuelson if you plan to attend. Click for more details