“Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.” Psalm 119:105 (NIV)
When you need to make a decision, the first and ideal test is this: “Is my decision in harmony with God’s Word?”
You have to decide what’s going to be your ultimate authority in life. It really boils down to this choice: God’s Word or the world. Are you going to base your decisions on what God says or what other people say?
If you base your life on popular opinion, you’re always going to be out of date, because it changes every day. What was “in” yesterday will be “out” today, and what’s “in” today will be “out” tomorrow. If you base your life on popular culture or opinion polls, you will struggle because you’re building on a shifting foundation!
On the other hand, if you base your life on God’s Word, the truth never changes. Truth is always true. So if God says something was wrong 10,000 years ago, it was also wrong 500 years ago, it’s wrong today, and it will be wrong 1,000 years from today. I don’t care what the culture says or what is popular at the time. If God says it’s wrong, it’s wrong. It always has been, and it always will be. If God says it’s right, it will always be right. That is a solid foundation!
God has set up the universe with certain laws—physical, moral, and spiritual. God built the universe around these laws because they’re all for your benefit. When you cooperate with the principles in this universe, you succeed. If you reject, disobey, ignore, and rebel against God’s principles, you’re the one who gets hurt.
With all this in mind, you can be confident in your decision. If God says it’s okay, then you do it. If God says no, then you don’t do it. “Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path”
(Psalm 119:105 NIV). Talk It Over
- How does society try to convince you that truth is subjective?
- How can you become more familiar with the Bible so you can better base your decisions on it?
- How have you experienced freedom when you obeyed God’s laws and direction in your life?
ANNOUNCEMENTS THANKSGIVING DINNER:
We will have our annual Thanksgiving Meal on Sunday, November 15 right after our morning worship service and we are looking for volunteers and a head count. There is a sign-up sheet in the foyer of the church; or you can reply by email (please select one method to reply).
- Families are encouraged to bring side dishes/salads and desserts.
- The church will provide dressing, rolls, and drinks.
We are requesting that all attendees wear a face mask when going through the line. Families will sit together and all will practice social-distancing and CDC recommendations. See William Summers or Gracie Smith if you have any questions.FOOD PANTRY:
The pantry is open on Tuesday and Thursday from 10:00am-1:00pm and Wednesday from 5:00-7:00pm. Volunteers and donations are needed. Specific food items needed: Vienna Sausages, Potted Meats, and Spaghetti Sauce. SECRETARY NEEDED:
We are looking for a part-time secretary to help at the church. If you know of anyone, have them contact Pastor Mike or Terri Ray. COFFEE SHOP:
Uncommon Grounds is open every Monday-Saturday from 7:00am-2:00pm. Invite a friend and use this great outreach to introduce the church to your friends. KELLY'S CLOSET:
Kelly needs volunteers to help serve women in need of clothing and support. See Kelly for more information on how you can get involved or donate. CHAIR YOGA
: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 8:30am. Contact Anita Woods for more information. CHRISMON:
Sunday Morning, December 6 in the AM service. Following the service we will have lunch and a time of decorating the church for the holidays. BREAKFAST WITH SANTA:
Saturday, December 12 from 9:00-11:00am. WOMEN OF JOY:
Women of Joy is coming to Pigeon Forge on April 23-25, 2021 (hopefully no COVID). To get the best rate for the conference and choice for lodging, fees are due January 10. See Rhonda Emanuelson if you plan to attend. Click for more details
. CLASSES & STUDIES Sundays
- Sunday School with Debbie Woodard is at 9:00am on Zoom + Deanna & James Boorsma host the Young Adults to join the class in person. They meet in the last room on the left of the new wing.
Meeting ID: 852 143 427
- Kenneth Ray and Gracie Smith lead an Adult Sunday School Class on Sunday morning at 9:00am in the classroom beside the office.
- The Teen Sunday School class meets with Sandy Hunter at 9:00am.
- Sunday morning worship begins at 10:00am in the sanctuary. The service will continue to be live streamed on Facebook (and our website home page) for those unable to be with us in the church building.
- OH|Kids Church for K-5th grade is now meeting during the worship hour with Pastor Maddie! Parents can take children directly to the OH|Kids room before worship (instead of starting in the sanctuary). See Maddie if you would like to help.
- Youth Group meets (in person) on Wednesdays at 6:30pm! Contact Elizabeth Hunter for more information.
- Wednesday Night Bible Study with Debbie Woodard, 6:30 pm on Facebook Live.
- Prayer and Bible Study with Richard Baisden is at 7pm on Zoom.
Meeting ID: 968 0414 4773